My research interests involve the interaction between the environment and society. In particular, I am interested in how environmental conditions can have an impact upon peoples’ health and well-being over long time-horizons. Much of my research to date deals with natural disasters, as this is one area that I think necessitates non-trivial interdisciplinary research.
Publications and Working Papers
“Estimating economic damage from climate change in the United States“. S. Hsiang*, R. Kopp*, A. Jina*, J. Rising*, M. Delgado, S. Mohan, DJ Rasmussen, R. Muir-Wood, P. Wilson, M. Oppenheimer, K. Larsen, and T. Houser, Science 356(6345): 1362–1369 (2017).
- Press release from University of Chicago
- Commentary in Science by Billy Pizer (Duke University)
- Selected coverage (general press): New York Times, Washington Post, The Guardian, Financial Times, Newsweek, TIME, The Atlantic, Forbes, Grist, Buzzfeed, Le Monde, Xinhua, Huffington Post, NPR, Business Insider, USA Today, CBS News
- Selected coverage (science and climate press): Climate Central, Inside Climate News, Project Earth, Scientific American, Popular Science, Science/AAAS, PhysOrg.com, ScienceNews, IFLScience, E&E News
- Excellent visualisation and discussion from the Associated Press.
- Favourite quotes: “This is like the adults entering the room.” –Gernot Wagner in The Atlantic.
“The Causal Effects of Environmental Catastrophe on Economic Growth: Evidence from 6,700 tropical cyclones“. Hsiang, S.M. and A.S. Jina, NBER Working Paper no. 20352 (Revision requested at Journal of Political Economy).
“Extreme Air Pollution in Global Megacities“. Marlier, M.E., A.S. Jina, R.S. DeFries & P.L. Kinney, Current Climate Change Reports 2(1):15-27. (2016).
“Satellites, Self-reports, and Submersion: Exposure to Floods in Bangladesh“. Guiteras, R.P., A.S. Jina, A.S. Jina, A.M. Mobarak, American Economic Review: Papers and Proceedings 105(5): 232-36 (2015).
- IGC and MPRC working paper available.
“Geography, Depreciation, and Growth“. Hsiang, S.M. and A.S. Jina, American Economic Review: Papers and Proceedings 105(5): 252-56.(2015).
“American Climate Prospectus: Economic Risks in the United States“. T. Houser, R. Kopp, S.M. Hsiang, M. Delgado, A.S. Jina, K. Larsen, M. Mastrandrea, S. Mohan, R. Muir-Wood, DJ Rasmussen, J. Rising, P. Wilson. Columbia University Press (2015).
- Press release from UC, Berkeley
- Coverage: Bloomberg, New York Times (also), Wall Street Journal, Financial Times (also), Forbes, Reuters, TIME, Washington Post, National Geographic, NPR (also), 400+ other outlets.
“Smallholder farmer cropping decisions related to climate variability across multiple regions“. Wood, S., A.S. Jina, M. Jain, R.S. DeFries, P. Kristjanson. Global Environmental Change. 25 (2014). (html)
“Biophysical and Socioeconomic Factors Associated with Forest Transitions at Multiple Spatial and Temporal Scales“. Jain, M., C.B. Yackulic, M. Fagan, A.S. Jina, Y. Lim, M. Marlier, R. Muscarella, P. Adame, R.S. DeFries, M. Uriarte. Ecology and Society. 16(3) (2011). (html)
“Long-range Externalities and Human Capital: Evidence from atmospheric models and Indonesian megafires” with Miriam Marlier (Columbia University)
- Visualisation of the data here
“Infant Mortality and Fertility Effects of Particulate Matter in Developing Countries: Evidence from 1,000,000 Births” with Jesse Anttila-Hughes (U. San Francisco), Miriam Marlier (UCLA atm. sci.), and Apostolos Voulgarakis (Imperial atm. sci.)
“Human Productivity in a Warmer World: The Impact of Climate Change on the Global Workforce” with [U. Chicago:] Michael Greenstone, Ashwin Rode, [UC, Berkeley:] Solomon Hsiang, Tamma Carleton, Andy Hultgren, Matthew Pecenco, [Princeton:] Rachel Baker, [Columbia:] Anthony D’Agostino, Tim Foreman
“Adaptation or Selection: Explaining Global Differences in Climate-related Mortality” with [U. Chicago:] Michael Greenstone, Ashwin Rode, Ishan Nath, Arvid Vienne, Samuel Seo, [UC, Berkeley:] Solomon Hsiang, Tamma Carleton, [Columbia:] Alice Zhang